Saturday, July 16, 2011

My First Felted Fleece

Well, I suppose it was likely to happen at least once.  I felted a batch of fleece that I was dyeing.  I am especially sad about this because I am very careful and am not sure what I did wrong.  
Felted Fleece.  Very Sad
I have dyed 6 batches so far.  The other 5 were done using the "cold-pour" method.  For those of you not familiar with dyeing, I put the dye stock on, wrapped it in plastic wrap and steamed it.
For this fleece, I used the "hot pour" method.  I used the book "Twisted Sisters' Sock Workbook" by Lynne Vogel.  Since this involves bringing a dye bath up to 190 degrees, and since I haven't had felting problems with the other method, I assume this is where I went wrong.  As I say, I was extremely careful, so I am pretty leery of trying again.  
On the raw food side, I am really enjoying my fenugreek sprouts.  I was introduced to them by my friend Angela last summer.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have ever come across them as I live in a raw-food-black-hole and have to search out sources for these things.  They are delicious and easy to sprout in my Easy Sprout.  I have two Easy Sprouts and keep them going on a rotation, growing all kinds of sprouts.  My favorite is fenugreek.  Try them.  You'll love 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment