Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Garment "Construction"

Okay, it seemed like a simple thing.
I wanted to put beads on the bottom edge of the Angel Lace Shawl, so I went to Jo-Ann's with my shawl and picked out some pearl-type beads that looked pretty good.
I sat down to work on it & discovered that the holes in the beads were microscopic.  Unwilling to be discouraged, I tried using one of those things that you use to floss your teeth when you have braces.  It broke.  (These holes are SMALL).
After brainstorming a bit, I got out the drill and spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to change the drill bit.  Ten minutes later, I took the drill to Christopher and he changed it.
I started to drill a hole in the bead while holding the bead with my fingers.  Then, I thought better of it and found Theresa's little jewelry-making pliers.
I drilled bigger holes in about four of the pearls before deciding that the whole situation was ridiculous.  I needed 33 beads and the strand I bought had 34.  So when one of the beads got drilled in half, I knew it was a lost cause.
I am not a home-improvement kinda girl, so it's pretty funny to me that I even got this far.  I was committed to making the beads work, but not that committed.
Why would I want beads on that shawl anyway?
(Yes, Ginny, that is your drill.  Have you been looking for it?)

2 comments:

  1. Hey ... there's someone else out there who likes to avoid housework !!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a funny post. I guess you're NOT the Tool Man!

    ReplyDelete